Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to ball-and-socket joint: Spheroidal joint
1. A synovial joint, such as the shoulder or hip joint, in which a spherical knob or knoblike part of one bone fits into a cavity or socket of another, so that some degree of rotary motion is possible in every direction. Also called enarthrosis.
2. A joint, as in a mechanical device, that permits rotary movement in all directions through the movement of a ball in a socket. Also called ball joint.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a coupling between two rods, tubes, etc, that consists of a spherical part fitting into a spherical socket, allowing free movement within a specific conical volume
2. (Anatomy) anatomy Also called: multiaxial joint a bony joint, such as the hip joint, in which a rounded head fits into a rounded cavity, allowing a wide range of movement
1. Also called enarthrosis. an anatomical joint in which the rounded end of one bone fits into a cuplike end of the other bone, as at the hip or shoulder.
2. Also called ball joint. a similar mechanical joint used to connect rods, pipes, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ball-and-socket joint - a freely moving joint in which a sphere on the head of one bone fits into a rounded cavity in the other bone|
articulatio humeri, shoulder joint, shoulder - a ball-and-socket joint between the head of the humerus and a cavity of the scapula
|2.||ball-and-socket joint - a joint that can rotate within a socket|
joint - junction by which parts or objects are joined together
socket - receptacle where something (a pipe or probe or end of a bone) is inserted
n → Kugelgelenk nt