baneberry(redirected from baneberries)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to baneberries: white baneberry
1. Any of several perennial herbs of the genus Actaea in the buttercup family, native to northern temperate regions, having terminal clusters of red, white, or blackish berries.
2. The poisonous berry of a plant of this genus.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) Also called: herb Christopher (Brit) or cohosh (US)any ranunculaceous plant of the genus Actaea, esp A. spicata, which has small white flowers and red or white poisonous berries
2. (Plants) a berry of any of these plants
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
bane•ber•ry(ˈbeɪnˌbɛr i, -bə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. any plant belonging to the genus Actaea, of the buttercup family, having large compound leaves, spikes of small white flowers, and poisonous red or white berries.
2. the berry of such a plant.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||baneberry - a poisonous berry of a plant of the genus Actaea|
berry - a small fruit having any of various structures, e.g., simple (grape or blueberry) or aggregate (blackberry or raspberry)
|2.||baneberry - a plant of the genus Actaea having acrid poisonous berries|
baneberry - a poisonous berry of a plant of the genus Actaea
Actaea rubra, red baneberry, snakeberry, redberry, red-berry - North American perennial herb with alternately compound leaves and racemes of small white flowers followed by bright red oval poisonous berries
Actaea alba, doll's eyes, white baneberry, white bead, white cohosh - North American herb with white poisonous berries
poisonous plant - a plant that when touched or ingested in sufficient quantity can be harmful or fatal to an organism
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.