Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. A heraldic bend or baton sinister, held to signify bastardy. Not in technical use.
2. A hint or proof of illegitimate birth.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Heraldry) (not in heraldic usage) another name for bend sinister
2. the condition, implication, or stigma of being of illegitimate birth
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a putative heraldic charge presumed to indicate illegitimate birth.
2. the condition or stigma of illegitimate birth.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bar sinister - the status of being born to parents who were not married|
|2.||bar sinister - a mark of bastardy; lines from top right to bottom left|
ordinary - (heraldry) any of several conventional figures used on shields
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n (Her) → Bastardfaden m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007