Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a member of nobility; a person of great power in a particular area: an oil baron
Not to be confused with:
barren – unproductive; unfruitful; not producing results; infertile: The queen was barren.
a. A British nobleman of the lowest rank.
b. A nobleman of continental Europe, ranked differently in various countries.
c. A Japanese nobleman of the lowest rank.
d. Used as the title for such a nobleman.
a. A feudal tenant holding his rights and title directly from a king or another feudal superior.
b. A lord or nobleman; a peer.
3. One having great wealth, power, and influence in a specified sphere of activity: an oil baron.
4. A cut of beef consisting of a double sirloin.
[Middle English, from Old French, probably of Germanic origin.]
1. (Heraldry) a member of a specific rank of nobility, esp the lowest rank in the British Isles
2. (Historical Terms) (in Europe from the Middle Ages) originally any tenant-in-chief of a king or other overlord, who held land from his superior by honourable service; a land-holding nobleman
3. (Commerce) a powerful businessman or financier: a press baron.
4. (Law) English law (formerly) the title held by judges of the Court of Exchequer
5. (Cookery) short for baron of beef
[C12: from Old French, of Germanic origin; compare Old High German baro freeman, Old Norse berjask to fight]
1. a member of the lowest grade of nobility.
2. (in Britain)
a. a feudal vassal holding his lands under a direct grant from the king.
b. a direct descendant of such a vassal or his equal in the nobility.
c. a member of the House of Lords.
3. a powerful, wealthy man in some industry or activity: railroad barons.
[1200–50; Middle English < Anglo-French, Old French, objective case of ber < Frankish *baro]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||baron - a nobleman (in various countries) of varying rank|
|2.||baron - a British peer of the lowest rank |
peer - a nobleman (duke or marquis or earl or viscount or baron) who is a member of the British peerage
|3.||baron - a very wealthy or powerful businessman; "an oil baron"|
businessman, man of affairs - a person engaged in commercial or industrial business (especially an owner or executive)
oil tycoon - a powerful person in the oil business
1. nobleman, lord, peer, noble, aristocrat, patrician, grandee Yes, our friend the baron has his problems.
البارون، النَّبيلشَخْص مُهِم، قُطب
baron(ˈbӕrən) – feminine ˈbaroness – noun
1. a nobleman. He was made a baron; Baron Rothschild. baron البارون، النَّبيل барон barão baron der Baron baron βαρόνοςbarón; baronesa parun, paruness نجیب زاده paroni baron/-onne ברון ताल्लुकदार barun báró gelar bangsawan barón; barónessa barone, baronessa 男爵 남작 baronas barons baron baron baron/baronesse baron يو اشرافى لقب barão baron, baroneasă барон barón, -ka baron baron baron, friherre ขุนนาง baron 男爵 барон انگریز نواب nam tước 男爵
2. an important, powerful person. a newspaper baron. magnaat شَخْص مُهِم، قُطب магнат barão magnát der ...-baron; ...-könig magnat; baron μεγιστάναςmagnate magnaat شخص بانفوذ؛ عالی مقام pohatta magnat אֵיל- प्रभावशाली व्यक्ति magnat ...mágnás penguasa, raja auðjöfur magnate 大実業家 대실력자 magnatas magnāts raja suratkhabar baronstormann, magnat magnat با نفوذ او با رسوخه كس barão magnat магнат magnát, kráľ mogotec magnat baron, magnat บุคคลที่มีอำนาจ kral, ...kralı 巨賈 магнат ایک اہم ، بآختیار شخص ông trùm 巨商