basophilia(redirected from basophilism)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to basophilism: Cushing pituitary basophilism
1. The affinity of cellular structures for basic dyes, such as methylene blue.
2. An increase in the number of basophils in the circulating blood.
3. An abnormal stippling of red blood cells with basic staining granules.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Pathology) an abnormal increase of basophil leucocytes in the blood
2. (Biology) the affinity of a biological specimen for basic dyes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||basophilia - the tendency of cells to stain with basic dyes; "cytoplasmic basophilia"|
stainability - (cytology) the capacity of cells or cell parts to stain specifically with certain dyes
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.