Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Offensive A person born to parents not married to each other.
a. A person considered to be mean or contemptible.
b. A person, especially one considered to be unfortunate: "crumbling shacks where some poor bastard had tried to raise a family" (Tom Clancy).
3. Something that is of irregular, inferior, or dubious origin.
1. Offensive Born to parents not married to each other.
2. Not genuine; spurious: a bastard style of architecture.
3. Resembling a known kind or species but not truly such.
[Middle English, from Old French, probably of Germanic origin; akin to Old Frisian bōst, marriage.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||bastardly - born out of wedlock; "the dominions of both rulers passed away to their spurious or doubtful offspring"- E.A.Freeman|
illegitimate - of marriages and offspring; not recognized as lawful
|2.||bastardly - of no value or worth; "I was caught in the bastardly traffic"|
contemptible - deserving of contempt or scorn