Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. bathed, bath·ing, bathes
1. To take a bath.
2. To go into the water for swimming or other recreation.
3. To become immersed in or as if in liquid.
4. To sunbathe.
1. To immerse in liquid; wet.
2. To wash in a liquid.
3. To apply a liquid to for healing or soothing purposes: bathed the wound with iodine.
4. To seem to wash or pour over; suffuse: a room that was bathed in sunlight.
[Middle English bathen, from Old English bathian.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. covered, esp with a liquid: bathed in sweat.
2. suffused (with some quality)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014