Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. bathed, bath·ing, bathes
1. To take a bath.
2. To go into the water for swimming or other recreation.
3. To become immersed in or as if in liquid.
4. To sunbathe.
1. To immerse in liquid; wet.
2. To wash in a liquid.
3. To apply a liquid to for healing or soothing purposes: bathed the wound with iodine.
4. To seem to wash or pour over; suffuse: a room that was bathed in sunlight.
[Middle English bathen, from Old English bathian.]
1. covered, esp with a liquid: bathed in sweat.
2. suffused (with some quality)