batting(redirected from batted work)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The act of one who bats.
2. Cotton, wool, or synthetic fiber wadded into rolls or sheets, used for stuffing furniture and mattresses and for lining quilts.
[Sense 2, from the beating of raw cotton to clean it.]
1. (Textiles) Also called: batt cotton or woollen wadding used in quilts, mattresses, etc
2. (Cricket) the action of a person or team that hits with a bat, esp in cricket or baseball
1. the use of a bat in a ball game.
2. cotton, wool, or other fibers in batts, used for filling, padding, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||batting - (baseball) the batter's attempt to get on base|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
|2.||batting - stuffing made of rolls or sheets of cotton wool or synthetic fiber|
stuffing - padding put in mattresses and cushions and upholstered furniture