Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act of one who bats.
2. Cotton, wool, or synthetic fiber wadded into rolls or sheets, used for stuffing furniture and mattresses and for lining quilts.
[Sense 2, from the beating of raw cotton to clean it.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Textiles) Also called: batt cotton or woollen wadding used in quilts, mattresses, etc
2. (Cricket) the action of a person or team that hits with a bat, esp in cricket or baseball
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the use of a bat in a ball game.
2. cotton, wool, or other fibers in batts, used for filling, padding, etc.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||batting - (baseball) the batter's attempt to get on base|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
|2.||batting - stuffing made of rolls or sheets of cotton wool or synthetic fiber|
stuffing - padding put in mattresses and cushions and upholstered furniture
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.