Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A squared-off log or a large, oblong piece of timber, metal, or stone used especially as a horizontal support in construction.
a. A transverse structural member of a ship's frame, used to support a deck and to brace the sides against stress.
b. The breadth of a ship at the widest point.
c. The side of a ship: sighted land off the starboard beam.
3. Informal The widest part of a person's hips: broad in the beam.
4. A steel tube or wooden roller on which the warp is wound in a loom.
5. An oscillating lever connected to an engine piston rod and used to transmit power to the crankshaft.
a. The bar of a balance from which weighing pans are suspended.
b. Sports A balance beam.
7. The main horizontal bar on a plow to which the share, coulter, and handles are attached.
8. One of the main stems of a deer's antlers.
a. A ray or shaft of light.
b. A concentrated stream of particles or a similar propagation of waves: a beam of protons; a beam of light.
10. A radio beam.
v. beamed, beam·ing, beams
1. To radiate light; shine.
2. To smile expansively.
1. To emit or transmit: beam a message via satellite.
2. To express by means of a radiant smile: He beamed his approval of the new idea.
on the beam
1. Following a radio beam. Used of aircraft.
2. On the right track; operating correctly.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||beaming - cheerful and bright; "a beaming smile"; "a glad May morning"|
cheerful - being full of or promoting cheer; having or showing good spirits; "her cheerful nature"; "a cheerful greeting"; "a cheerful room"; "as cheerful as anyone confined to a hospital bed could be"
|2.||beaming - pleased and proud; "beaming parents"|
proud - feeling self-respect or pleasure in something by which you measure your self-worth; or being a reason for pride; "proud parents"; "proud of his accomplishments"; "a proud moment"; "proud to serve his country"; "a proud name"; "proud princes"
|3.||beaming - radiating or as if radiating light; "the beaming sun"; "the effulgent daffodils"; "a radiant sunrise"; "a refulgent sunset"|
bright - emitting or reflecting light readily or in large amounts; "the sun was bright and hot"; "a bright sunlit room"
1. smiling, happy, grinning, pleasant, sunny, cheerful, cheery, joyful, chirpy (informal), light-hearted his mother's beaming eyes