Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of various twining herbs of the genus Phaseolus in the pea family, native to the Americas, having leaves with three leaflets and variously colored flowers, and widely cultivated for their edible pods and seeds.
b. A seed or pod of any of these plants.
2. Any of several related plants or their seeds or pods, such as the adzuki bean, broad bean, or soybean.
3. Any of various other plants or their seeds or fruits, especially those suggestive of beans such as the coffee bean or vanilla bean.
4. Slang A person's head.
5. beans Slang A small amount: I don't know beans about investing.
6. Chiefly British A fellow; a chap.
tr.v. beaned, bean·ing, beans SlangIdioms:
To hit (another) on the head with a thrown object, especially a pitched baseball.
full of beans
1. Energetic; frisky: The children were too full of beans to sit still.
2. Badly mistaken: Don't believe him; he's full of beans.
spill the beans
To disclose a secret.