beard(redirected from beard the lion in his den)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to beard the lion in his den: beard the lion in his lair
1. A growth of hair on the chin, cheeks, and throat of a person, especially a man.
2. A tuft or growth of hairs, bristles, or other hairlike threads on a plant or animal.
3. One who serves to divert suspicion or attention from another, especially a person of the opposite sex who accompanies a gay man or lesbian to give the impression of heterosexuality.
4. Printing The raised slope on a piece of type between the shoulder or counter and the face. Also called neck.
tr.v. beard·ed, beard·ing, beards
1. To furnish with a beard.
2. To confront boldly.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) the hair growing on the lower parts of a man's face
2. (Zoology) any similar growth in animals
3. (Botany) a tuft of long hairs in plants such as barley and wheat; awn
4. (Zoology) the gills of an oyster
5. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a barb, as on an arrow or fish-hook
6. (Angling) a barb, as on an arrow or fish-hook
7. slang a woman who accompanies a homosexual man to give the impression that he is heterosexual
8. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing the part of a piece of type that connects the face with the shoulder
9. to oppose boldly or impertinently
10. to pull or grasp the beard of
[Old English beard; related to Old Norse barth, Old High German bart, Latin barba]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. hair growing on the lower part of the face, esp. on the face of a man, sometimes including a mustache.
2. a similar growth on the chin of some animals or near the bill in some birds.
3. a tuft or growth of awns or the like, as on wheat or barley.
4. a barb or catch on an arrow, fishhook, etc.
5. the sloping part of a printing type that connects the face with the shoulder of the body.v.t.
6. to seize, pluck, or pull the beard of.
7. to oppose boldly; defy.
8. to supply with a beard.
[before 900; Middle English berd, Old English beard, c. Old High German bart, Old Frisian berd, Latin barba, Russian borodá]
1. Charles Austin, 1874–1948, and his wife Mary, 1876–1958, U.S. historians.
2. Daniel Carter, 1850–1941, U.S. artist and naturalist: organized the Boy Scouts of America in 1910.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: bearded
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||beard - the hair growing on the lower part of a man's face|
facial hair - hair on the face (especially on the face of a man)
fuzz - the first beard of an adolescent boy
beaver - a full beard
moustache, mustache - an unshaved growth of hair on the upper lip; "he looked younger after he shaved off his mustache"
goatee - a small chin beard trimmed to a point; named for its resemblance to a goat's beard
stubble - short stiff hairs growing on a man's face when he has not shaved for a few days
|2.||beard - a tuft or growth of hairs or bristles on certain plants such as iris or grasses|
awn - slender bristlelike appendage found on the bracts of grasses
|3.||beard - a person who diverts suspicion from someone (especially a woman who accompanies a male homosexual in order to conceal his homosexuality)|
|4.||beard - hairy growth on or near the face of certain mammals|
caprine animal, goat - any of numerous agile ruminants related to sheep but having a beard and straight horns
hair - a covering for the body (or parts of it) consisting of a dense growth of threadlike structures (as on the human head); helps to prevent heat loss; "he combed his hair"; "each hair consists of layers of dead keratinized cells"
|5.||beard - tuft of strong filaments by which e.g. a mussel makes itself fast to a fixed surface|
|Verb||1.||beard - go along the rim, like a beard around the chin; "Houses bearded the top of the heights"|
rim - run around the rim of; "Sugar rimmed the dessert plate"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun whiskers, bristles, stubble, goatee, facial hair, five-o'clock shadow Charlie's bushy black beard
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
skegghár, tÿtur, òræîir
barbaappuntamento di copertura
B. VT → desafiar
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
beard[ˈbɪərd] n → barbe f
to have a beard → être barbu (e)
He's got a beard → Il est barbu.
a man with a beard → un barbu
to grow a beard → se laisser pousser la barbe
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
→ Bart m; (full-face) → Vollbart m; a man with a beard → ein Mann mit Bart; a two-day or three-day beard (hum) → ein Dreitagebart m (inf); a week’s (growth of) beard → ein eine Woche alter Bart; small pointed beard → Spitzbart m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. the hair that grows on the chin. a man's beard; a goat's beard. baard لِحْيَهَ брада barba vous(y), bradka der Bart skæg γένιbarba habe ریش parta barbeזקן दाढ़ी brada szakáll janggut skegg barba あごひげ 턱수염 barzda bārda janggut baardskjeggbroda ږيره barba barbă борода brada brada brada skägg เครา sakal 鬍鬚 борода داڑھی râu 胡须
2. a group of hair-like tufts on an ear of corn. the beard on barley. baard حَسَكُ الُّنْبُلَه осил barba osiny die Grannen hår τούφαarista ohe کاکل روی گیاهان akana barbe, arêteזקן दाढ़ी vlati toklász rambut jagung hár, tÿtur, þræðir resta のぎ (보리, 옥수수 등의) 까락, 까끄라기 akuotai akots jejanggut baardskjegg, snerpwąsy دوږې زيږې خاتې، زيږه ويښتان barba barbă (a spicului) ость osť resa niti na klipu kukuruza agnborst ขนแหลมที่รวงข้าว püskül, başak kılçığı (植物的)芒 остюк باجرے ، مکئی کے بال ngạnh （植物的）芒ˈbearded adjective
bearded men. bebaarde مُلتحِ، ذو لِحْيَه брадат barbudo vousatý bärtig skægget γενειοφόρος con barba, barbudo habemega ریش دار parrakas barbu מזוּקַן दाढ़ी वाला bradat szakállas berjanggut skeggjaður barbuto あごひげをはやした 수염이 있는 barzdotas bārdains; akotains orang berjanggut gebaardskjeggetbrodaty ږيره ور barbudo bărbos, cu barbă бородатый bradatý bradat bradat skäggig, skäggprydd ที่มีเครา sakallı 有鬍鬚的 бородатий ڈاڑھی والے ، باریش آدمی có râu; có ngạnh 有胡须的
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
beard→ لـِحْيَة vousy skæg Bart μούσι barba parta barbe brada barba あごひげ 턱수염 baard skjegg broda barba борода skägg เครา sakal râu 胡须
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.