Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A growth of hair on the chin, cheeks, and throat of a person, especially a man.
2. A tuft or growth of hairs, bristles, or other hairlike threads on a plant or animal.
3. One who serves to divert suspicion or attention from another, especially a person of the opposite sex who accompanies a gay man or lesbian to give the impression of heterosexuality.
4. Printing The raised slope on a piece of type between the shoulder or counter and the face. Also called neck.
tr.v. beard·ed, beard·ing, beards
1. To furnish with a beard.
2. To confront boldly.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. without a beard
2. too young to grow a beard; immature
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||beardless - having no beard|
|2.||beardless - lacking hair on the face; "a smooth-faced boy of 14 years"|
hairless - having no hair or fur; "a Mexican Hairless is about the size of a fox terrier and hairless except for a tufts on the head and tail"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007