Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The solid rock that underlies loose material, such as soil, sand, clay, or gravel.
a. The very basis; the foundation: Ownership of land is the bedrock of democracy.
b. The lowest point: personal finances that were at bedrock.
1. (Geological Science) the solid unweathered rock that lies beneath the loose surface deposits of soil, alluvium, etc
2. basic principles or facts (esp in the phrase get down to bedrock)
3. the lowest point, level, or layer
1. unbroken solid rock, overlaid in most places by soil or rock fragments.
2. the bottom layer.
3. any firm foundation.
4. the fundamental principles, as of a science.
The solid rock that lies beneath the soil and other loose material on the Earth's surface.
The mass of solid rock that lies beneath the regolith.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bedrock - solid unweathered rock lying beneath surface deposits of soil|
|2.||bedrock - principles from which other truths can be derived; "first you must learn the fundamentals"; "let's get down to basics"|
principle - a basic truth or law or assumption; "the principles of democracy"
1. first principle, rule, basis, basics, principle, essentials, roots, core, fundamentals, cornerstone, nuts and bolts (informal), sine qua non (Latin), rudiment Mutual trust is the bedrock of a relationship.