beguiled(redirected from beguiledly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. be·guiled, be·guil·ing, be·guiles
1. To deceive by guile or charm: beguiled unwary investors.
2. To deprive (someone) of something by guile or deceit; cheat: a disease that has beguiled me of strength.
3. To distract the attention of; divert: "to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming" (Abraham Lincoln).
4. To amuse or charm; delight or fascinate. See Synonyms at charm.
5. To pass (time) pleasantly.
[Middle English bigilen : bi-, be- + gilen, to deceive; see guile.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.