Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to beluga: beluga caviar
1. A small toothed whale (Delphinapterus leucas) chiefly of the Arctic Ocean, having a bulbous forehead and a white body when full-grown. Also called white whale.
a. A large white anadromous sturgeon (Huso huso) of the Black and Caspian Seas, valued for its roe. Also called beluga sturgeon, whitefish.
b. Caviar made from the roe of this fish, having large grayish grains.
1. (Animals) a large white sturgeon, Acipenser (or Huso) huso, of the Black and Caspian Seas: a source of caviar and isinglass. Also called: hausen
2. (Animals) another name for white whale
[C18: from Russian byeluga, from byely white]
n., pl. -gas, (esp. collectively) -ga.
1. a large white sturgeon, Huso huso, of the Black and Caspian seas, valued esp. as a source of caviar.
2. Also called white whale. a small white toothed whale, Delphinapterus leucas, of northern seas, having a rounded head and upward-curving mouth.
[1585–95; < Russian]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||beluga - valuable source of caviar and isinglass; found in Black and Caspian seas|
sturgeon - large primitive fishes valued for their flesh and roe; widely distributed in the North Temperate Zone
beluga caviar - roe of beluga sturgeon usually from Russia; highly valued
|2.||beluga - small northern whale that is white when adult|
dolphin - any of various small toothed whales with a beaklike snout; larger than porpoises