Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
In the Bible, the younger son of Jacob and Rachel and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
[Hebrew binyāmîn, son of the south : bēn, son; see bn in Semitic roots + yāmîn, south; see ymn in Semitic roots.]
[Alteration (influenced by the name Benjamin) of benjoin, benzoin; see benzoin.]
1. A one-hundred dollar bill.
2. One hundred dollars.
[After Benjamin Franklin, whose portrait appears on the US $100 bill.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
[C16: variant of benzoin; influenced in form by the name Benjamin]
1. (Bible) Old Testament
a. the youngest and best-loved son of Jacob and Rachel (Genesis 35:16–18; 42:4)
b. the tribe descended from this patriarch
c. the territory of this tribe, northwest of the Dead Sea
2. archaic a youngest and favourite son
1. (Biography) Arthur. 1893–1960, Australian composer. In addition to Jamaican Rumba (1938), he wrote five operas and a harmonica concerto (1953)
2. (Biography) Walter (ˈvaltər). 1892–1940, German critic and cultural theorist
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ben•ja•min(ˈbɛn dʒə mən)
Ben•ja•min(ˈbɛn dʒə mən)
1. the youngest son of Jacob and Rachel, and the brother of Joseph. Gen. 35:18.
2. one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
3. Judah Philip, 1811–84, Confederate statesman.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||benjamin - gum resin used especially in treating skin irritation|
gum resin - a mixture of resin and gum
|2.||Benjamin - (Old Testament) the youngest and best-loved son of Jacob and Rachel and one of the twelve forebears of the tribes of Israel|
Old Testament - the collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.