Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to berrying: burying
n. pl. ber·ries
1. Botany An indehiscent fruit derived from a single ovary and having the whole wall fleshy, such as a grape or tomato.
2. A small, juicy, fleshy fruit, such as a blackberry or raspberry, regardless of its botanical structure.
3. Any of various seeds or dried kernels, as of wheat.
4. One of the eggs of certain fishes or crustaceans, such as lobsters.
intr.v. ber·ried, ber·ry·ing, ber·ries
1. To hunt for or gather berries: went berrying in July.
2. To bear or produce berries.
A historical region and former province of central France. Purchased by the French crown in 1101, it became an independent duchy in 1360 and reverted to the crown in 1601.