beta(redirected from beta barrels)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to beta barrels: alpha helix
1. The second letter of the Greek alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
2. The second item in a series or system of classification.
3. A mathematical measure of the sensitivity of rates of return on a portfolio or a given stock compared with rates of return on the market as a whole. A beta of 1.0 indicates that an asset closely follows the market; a beta greater than 1.0 indicates greater volatility than the market.
4. Astronomy The second brightest star in a constellation.
5. Computers The version of a software or hardware product used in a beta test.
1. Being the second-ranked individual of one's sex. Used of social animals: the beta male of the chimpanzee colony.
a. Being in the second position relative to a designated carbon atom in an organic molecule at which an atom or a group may be substituted.
b. Referring to the second of a group of isomers, or molecules of similar origin or properties, determined arbitrarily by those who discover or classify them. Used in combination: beta-estradiol
3. Computers Of or relating to a beta test or the software or hardware involved in a beta test.
1. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) the second letter in the Greek alphabet (Β, β), a consonant, transliterated as b
2. the second highest grade or mark, as in an examination
3. (General Physics) (modifier)
a. involving or relating to electrons: beta emitter.
b. relating to one of two or more allotropes or crystal structures of a solid: beta iron.
c. relating to one of two or more isomeric forms of a chemical compound
[from Greek bēta, from Hebrew; see beth]
(Astronomy) (foll by the genitive case of a specified constellation) a star in a constellation, usually the second brightest: Beta Persei.
be•ta(ˈbeɪ tə; esp. Brit. ˈbi-)
n., pl. -tas,
1. the second letter of the Greek alphabet (Β, ß).
2. (cap.) the second brightest star in a constellation: Beta Tauri.
3. the second of any series.adj.
a. pertaining to one of the possible positions of an atom or group in a compound.
b. pertaining to one of two or more isomeric compounds.
[< Latin < Greek bêta < Semitic; compare Hebrew bēth]
Be•ta(ˈbeɪ tə; esp. Brit. ˈbi-) Trademark.
a videocassette tape format.
A test period for new software or hardware.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||beta - the 2nd letter of the Greek alphabet|
Greek alphabet - the alphabet used by ancient Greeks
|2.||Beta - beets |
caryophylloid dicot genus - genus of relatively early dicotyledonous plants including mostly flowers
|Adj.||1.||beta - second in order of importance; "the candidate, considered a beta male, was perceived to be unable to lead his party to victory"|
|2.||beta - preliminary or testing stage of a software or hardware product; "a beta version"; "beta software"|