Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to billabong: Roxy
1. A dead-end channel extending from the main stream of a river.
2. A streambed filled with water only in the rainy season.
3. A stagnant pool or backwater.
[Wiradhuri (Pama-Nyungan language of southeast Australia) bilabaŋ, watercourse filled only after rain.]
1. (Physical Geography) a backwater channel that forms a lagoon or pool
2. (Physical Geography) a branch of a river running to a dead end
[C19: from a native Australian language, from billa river + bong dead]
bil•la•bong(ˈbɪl əˌbɔŋ, -ˌbɒŋ)
a stagnant backwater formed by receding floodwater.
[1830–40; < Wiradjuri]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||billabong - a stagnant pool of water in the bed of a stream that flows intermittently|
Australia, Commonwealth of Australia - a nation occupying the whole of the Australian continent; Aboriginal tribes are thought to have migrated from southeastern Asia 20,000 years ago; first Europeans were British convicts sent there as a penal colony
|2.||billabong - a branch of a river made by water flowing from the main stream only when the water level is high|
branch - a stream or river connected to a larger one