bimodal(redirected from bimodally)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Having or exhibiting two contrasting modes or forms: "American supermarket shopping shows bimodal behavior—careful, nutritious choices mixed with salty, high-fat snack foods" (Sheryl Julian).
2. Having two distinct statistical modes.
3. Designed for operation on either railroads or highways. Used of vehicles.
bi′mo·dal′i·ty (bī′mō-dăl′ĭ-tē) n.
(Statistics) characterized by two modes
1. having or providing two modes, methods, systems, etc.
2. (of a distribution in statistics) having or occurring with two modes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||bimodal - of a distribution; having or occurring with two modes|
statistics - a branch of applied mathematics concerned with the collection and interpretation of quantitative data and the use of probability theory to estimate population parameters
unimodal - having a single mode