Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. The action of one that binds: glue for the binding of pieces of plastic pipe.
2. Something that binds or is used as a binder.
a. The manner in which the pages of a book are joined and held together: Is the binding of that book stitched or glued?
b. The material that holds the pages of a book together, especially the cover: a book with a leather binding.
4. A strip of fabric or tape sewn or attached over or along an edge for protection, reinforcement, or ornamentation.
5. Sports The fastening on a ski or board for securing the boot, often releasing automatically to prevent injury.
1. Serving to bind: a binding protein.
2. Uncomfortably tight and confining.
3. Tending to cause constipation: foods that are binding.
4. Imposing or commanding adherence to a commitment, an obligation, or a duty: binding arbitration; a binding agreement.
in a binding manner