bipolar(redirected from bipolar staining)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Relating to or having two poles or charges.
2. Relating to a device capable of using two polarizations, such as a transistor that uses positive and negative charge carriers.
3. Relating to or involving both of the earth's polar regions.
4. Having two opposite or contradictory ideas or natures: the bipolar world of the postwar period.
5. Biology Having two poles or opposite extremities: a bipolar neuron.
6. Psychiatry Of, relating to, or having bipolar disorder.
Informal A person with bipolar disorder.
bi′po·lar′i·ty (-lăr′ĭ-tē) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) having two poles: a bipolar dynamo; a bipolar neuron.
2. (Physical Geography) relating to or found at the North and South Poles
3. having or characterized by two opposed opinions, natures, etc
4. (Electronics) (of a transistor) utilizing both majority and minority charge carriers
5. (Pathology) suffering from bipolar manic-depressive disorder
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. having two poles, as the earth.
2. of, pertaining to, or found at both polar regions.
3. characterized by opposite extremes.
4. of or pertaining to a transistor that uses both positive and negative charge carriers.
bi•po′lar•ize`, v.t. -ized, -iz•ing.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||bipolar - of or relating to manic depressive illness|
|2.||bipolar - of, pertaining to, or occurring in both polar regions; "the bipolar distribution of certain species"|
|3.||bipolar - having two poles |
unipolar - having a single pole
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
bipolar[baɪˈpəʊlər] adj [system, situation] → bipolairebipolar disorder n (PSYCHOLOGY, PSYCHIATRY) → troubles mpl bipolaires
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.