bipolar(redirected from bipolar staining)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Relating to or having two poles or charges.
2. Relating to a device capable of using two polarizations, such as a transistor that uses positive and negative charge carriers.
3. Relating to or involving both of the earth's polar regions.
4. Having two opposite or contradictory ideas or natures: the bipolar world of the postwar period.
5. Biology Having two poles or opposite extremities: a bipolar neuron.
6. Psychiatry Of, relating to, or having bipolar disorder.
Informal A person with bipolar disorder.
bi′po·lar′i·ty (-lăr′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (General Physics) having two poles: a bipolar dynamo; a bipolar neuron.
2. (Physical Geography) relating to or found at the North and South Poles
3. having or characterized by two opposed opinions, natures, etc
4. (Electronics) (of a transistor) utilizing both majority and minority charge carriers
5. (Pathology) suffering from bipolar manic-depressive disorder
1. having two poles, as the earth.
2. of, pertaining to, or found at both polar regions.
3. characterized by opposite extremes.
4. of or pertaining to a transistor that uses both positive and negative charge carriers.
bi•po′lar•ize`, v.t. -ized, -iz•ing.