Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Genetics Relating to or being a pair of homologous, side-by-side chromosomes, especially during meiosis; double.
2. Chemistry & Immunology Divalent.
bi·va′lence, bi·va′len·cy n.
1. (Chemistry) chem another word for divalent
2. (Genetics) (of homologous chromosomes) associated together in pairs
(Genetics) a structure formed during meiosis consisting of two homologous chromosomes associated together
bi•va•lent(baɪˈveɪ lənt, ˈbɪv ə-)
a. having a valence of two.
b. having two valences.
2. pertaining to associations of two homologous chromosomes.n.
bi•va′lence, bi•va′len•cy, n.
Having a valence of 2.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||bivalent - having a valence of two or having two valences|
|2.||bivalent - used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis|
multivalent - used of the association of three or more homologous chromosomes during the first division of meiosis
univalent - used of a chromosome that is not paired or united with its homologous chromosome during synapsis; "a univalent chromosome"