Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Happening every two years. See Usage Note at bi-1.
2. Happening twice a year; semiyearly.
1. Every two years.
2. Twice a year; semiyearly.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. every two years; biennial or biennially
2. (often avoided because of confusion with sense 1) twice a year; biannual or biannually. See bi-1
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. happening every two years; biennial.
2. happening twice a year; biannual.adv.
3. every two years.
4. twice yearly.
usage: See bi- 1.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||biyearly - occurring every second year; "they met at biennial conventions"|
|2.||biyearly - occurring or payable twice each year|
|Adv.||1.||biyearly - every two years; "this festival takes places biennially"|
|2.||biyearly - twice a year|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.