magpie(redirected from black-backed magpies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various birds of the family Corvidae having a long tail and black, blue, or green plumage with white markings, and noted for their chattering call, especially Pica hudsonia, of western North America, and P. pica, of Eurasia and Africa. Also called pie2.
2. Any of various birds that resemble the magpie.
3. A person who chatters.
4. One who compulsively collects or hoards small objects.
[Mag, a name used in proverbs about chatterers (a nickname for Margaret) + pie.]
1. (Animals) any of various passerine birds of the genus Pica, esp P. pica, having a black-and-white plumage, long tail, and a chattering call: family Corvidae (crows, etc)
2. (Animals) any of various similar birds of the Australian family Cracticidae. See also butcherbird2
3. (Animals) any of various other similar or related birds
4. (Breeds) (often capital) a variety of domestic fancy pigeon typically having black-and-white markings
5. Brit a person who hoards small objects
6. a person who chatters
a. the outmost ring but one on a target
b. a shot that hits this ring
[C17: from Mag diminutive of Margaret, used to signify a chatterbox + pie2]
1. any of various birds of the genus Pica, of the jay family, having long, graduated tails, black-and-white plumage, and noisy habits.
2. an incessantly talkative person.
3. a person who collects or hoards things.
[1595–1605; Mag hypocoristic of Margaret (compare late Middle English magge(s) tales tall tales, nonsense) + pie2]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||magpie - long-tailed black-and-white crow that utters a raucous chattering call|
corvine bird - birds of the crow family
|2.||magpie - someone who collects things that have been discarded by others|
hoarder - a person who accumulates things and hides them away for future use
|3.||magpie - an obnoxious and foolish and loquacious talker|
عَقْعَقُعَقعَق: طَيْر من فَصيلَة الغُرابِيّات
chim ác là
magpie[ˈmægpaɪ] n (= bird) → pie f
n → Elster f
magpie[ˈmægˌpaɪ] n → gazza
a black-and-white bird of the crow family, known for its habit of collecting shiny objects. ekster عَقعَق: طَيْر من فَصيلَة الغُرابِيّات сврака gralha straka die Elster skade καρακάξαurraca harakas زاغ harakka pie עוֹרֵב הַנחָלִים मैगपाई, चिड़िया मैना की जाति की svraka szarka jalak skjór gazza かささぎ 까치 šarka žagata burung murai eksterskjæresroka كارګه،كاغى gralha coţofană сорока straka sraka svraka skata นกกางเขน saksağan 喜鵲 сорока یورپی اور امریکی کوّا chim ác là 喜鹊