Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. A negative vote, especially one that blocks the admission of an applicant to an organization.
2. A small black ball used as a negative ballot.
tr.v. black·balled, black·ball·ing, black·balls
1. To vote against, especially to veto the admission of.
2. To shut out from social or commercial participation; ostracize or boycott.
1. a negative vote or veto
2. a black wooden ball used to indicate disapproval or to veto in a vote
3. (Cookery) NZ a hard boiled sweet with black-and-white stripes
4. to vote against in a ballot
5. to exclude (someone) from a group, profession, etc; ostracize
[C18: see sense 2]
1. to vote against.
2. to exclude socially; ostracize.n.
3. a negative vote.
4. (formerly) a black ball placed in a ballot box signifying a negative vote.
Past participle: blackballed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blackball - the act of excluding someone by a negative vote or veto|
|Verb||1.||blackball - expel from a community or group|
|2.||blackball - vote against; refuse to endorse; refuse to assent; "The President vetoed the bill"|