blackfish(redirected from blackfishes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. blackfish or black·fish·es
1. Any of various dark-colored fishes, such as:
a. A small edible freshwater fish (Dallia pectoralis) that inhabits streams and ponds of Alaska and Siberia and is noted for its ability to withstand freezing.
b. See tautog.
2. Any of several dark-colored toothed whales, especially the pilot whale.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -fish or -fishes
1. (Animals) a minnow-like Alaskan freshwater fish, Dallia pectoralis, related to the pikes and thought to be able to survive prolonged freezing
2. (Animals) a female salmon that has recently spawned. Compare redfish1
3. (Animals) any of various other dark fishes, esp the luderick, a common edible Australian estuary fish
4. (Animals) another name for pilot whale
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -fish, (esp. for kinds or species) -fish•es.
1. any of various dark-colored fishes, as the tautog, Tautoga onitis, or the sea bass, Centropristis striata.
2. a small, freshwater food fish, Dallia pectoralis, found in Alaska and Siberia, noted for its ability to survive frozen in ice.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blackfish - large dark-colored food fish of the Atlantic coast of North America|
wrasse - chiefly tropical marine fishes with fleshy lips and powerful teeth; usually brightly colored
|2.||blackfish - female salmon that has recently spawned|
salmon - any of various large food and game fishes of northern waters; usually migrate from salt to fresh water to spawn
|3.||blackfish - small dark-colored whale of the Atlantic coast of the United States; the largest male acts as pilot or leader for the school|
dolphin - any of various small toothed whales with a beaklike snout; larger than porpoises
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.