Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various dark-colored, chiefly nonvenomous snakes, such as the black racer or a black-colored rat snake.
2. A long, tapering, braided rawhide or leather whip with a snapper on the end.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any of several Old World black venomous elapid snakes, esp Pseudechis porphyriacus (Australian blacksnake)
2. (Animals) any of various dark nonvenomous snakes, such as Coluber constrictor (black racer)
3. US and Canadian a long heavy pliant whip of braided leather or rawhide
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or black′ snake`,
1. a slender, harmless black-skinned racer, Coluber constrictor, of E North America.
2. any of various other black snakes.
3. a heavy, tapering whip of braided cowhide or the like.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blacksnake - large harmless shiny black North American snake|
rat snake - any of various nonvenomous rodent-eating snakes of North America and Asia
|2.||blacksnake - blackish racer of the eastern United States that grows to six feet|
racer - slender fast-moving North American snakes
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.