blade(redirected from blade method)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The flat cutting part of a sharpened weapon or tool.
a. A sword.
b. A swordsman.
3. Archaeology A slender, sharp-edged flake that is at least twice as long as it is wide.
4. A dashing youth.
a. A flat thin part or section, especially one that makes contact to perform a desired action: the blade of an oar; the blade of a hockey stick.
b. An arm of a rotating mechanism: the blade of a propeller; the blade of a food processor.
c. A long, thin, often curved piece, as of metal or rubber, used for plowing, clearing, or wiping.
6. The metal runner of an ice skate.
7. A wide flat bone or bony part.
8. The flat upper surface of the tongue just behind the tip.
a. The expanded part of a leaf or petal.
b. The leaf of grasses or similar plants.
intr.v. blad·ed, blad·ing, blades
To skate on in-line skates.
1. the part of a sharp weapon, tool, etc, that forms the cutting edge
2. (Tools) (plural) Austral and NZ hand shears used for shearing sheep
3. the thin flattish part of various tools, implements, etc, as of a propeller, turbine, etc
4. (Botany) the flattened expanded part of a leaf, sepal, or petal
5. (Botany) the long narrow leaf of a grass or related plant
6. (Individual Sports, other than specified) the striking surface of a bat, club, stick, or oar
7. the metal runner on an ice skate
8. (Archaeology) archaeol a long thin flake of flint, possibly used as a tool
9. (Phonetics & Phonology) the upper part of the tongue lying directly behind the tip
10. archaic a dashing or swaggering young man
11. (Anatomy) short for shoulder blade
[Old English blæd; related to Old Norse blath leaf, Old High German blat, Latin folium leaf]
1. the flat cutting part of an implement, as a knife.
3. a similar part, as of a mechanism, used for clearing, wiping, scraping, etc.
4. the arm of a propeller or other similar rotary mechanism, as an electric fan.
a. the leaf of a plant, esp. of a grass or cereal.
b. the broad part of a leaf.
6. the metal part of an ice skate that comes into contact with the ice; runner.
7. a thin, flat part of something, as of an oar or a bone: shoulder blade.
8. a dashing, swaggering, or jaunty young man.
a. the upper surface of the tongue directly behind the tip.
b. the foremost portion of the tongue, including the upper and lower surfaces and the tip.
11. the elongated hind part of a fowl's single comb.
[before 1000; Middle English; Old English blæd blade of grass]
1. The expanded part of a leaf or petal. See more at leaf.
2. The leaf of grasses and similar plants.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blade - especially a leaf of grass or the broad portion of a leaf as distinct from the petiole|
|2.||blade - a dashing young man; "gay young blades bragged of their amorous adventures"|
|3.||blade - something long and thin resembling a blade of grass; "a blade of lint on his suit"|
|4.||blade - a cutting or thrusting weapon that has a long metal blade and a hilt with a hand guard|
backsword - a sword with only one cutting edge
blade - the flat part of a tool or weapon that (usually) has a cutting edge
broadsword - a sword with a broad blade and (usually) two cutting edges; used to cut rather than stab
falchion - a short broad slightly convex medieval sword with a sharp point
fencing sword - a sword used in the sport of fencing
foible - the weaker part of a sword's blade from the forte to the tip
forte - the stronger part of a sword blade between the hilt and the foible
hilt - the handle of a sword or dagger
weapon, weapon system, arm - any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or hunting; "he was licensed to carry a weapon"
|5.||blade - a cut of beef from the shoulder blade|
cut of beef - cut of meat from beef cattle
chuck - the part of a forequarter from the neck to the ribs and including the shoulder blade
|6.||blade - a broad flat body part (as of the shoulder or tongue)|
web, vane - the flattened weblike part of a feather consisting of a series of barbs on either side of the shaft
|7.||blade - the part of the skate that slides on the ice|
ice skate - skate consisting of a boot with a steel blade fitted to the sole
runner - device consisting of the parts on which something can slide along
|8.||blade - flat surface that rotates and pushes against air or water|
fan blade - blade of a rotating fan
eggbeater, helicopter, whirlybird, chopper - an aircraft without wings that obtains its lift from the rotation of overhead blades
impeller - the blade of a rotor (as in the compressor of a jet engine)
oar - an implement used to propel or steer a boat
paddle - a blade of a paddle wheel or water wheel
rotating mechanism - a mechanism that rotates
rudder blade - the vertical blade on a rudder
turbine - rotary engine in which the kinetic energy of a moving fluid is converted into mechanical energy by causing a bladed rotor to rotate
|9.||blade - the flat part of a tool or weapon that (usually) has a cutting edge|
cutting implement - a tool used for cutting or slicing
knife - edge tool used as a cutting instrument; has a pointed blade with a sharp edge and a handle
knife blade - the blade of a knife
razorblade - a blade that has very sharp edge
spatula - a hand tool with a thin flexible blade used to mix or spread soft substances
spatula - a turner with a narrow flexible blade
The cutting part of a sharp instrument:
شَفْرَهطَرَفُ المِجْدافِ العَريضنَصْلوَرَقَةُ عُشْب
(of knife, tool, weapon, razor) → Klinge f; (of pencil sharpener) → Messerchen nt; (of guillotine) → Beil nt
(of tongue) → vorderer Zungenrücken; (of oar, spade, saw, windscreen wiper) → Blatt nt; (of plough) → Schar f; (of turbine, paddle wheel) → Schaufel f; (of propeller) → Blatt nt, → Flügel m
(liter, = sword) → Klinge f (liter)
(old, = dashing fellow) → schmucker Bursch (old)
(Anat) = shoulder blade
1. the cutting part of a knife etc. His penknife has several different blades. lem شَفْرَه острие lâmina čepel die Klinge blad λεπίδαhoja, filo tera تیغه terä lameלהב पत्ती oštrica penge mata pisau blað lama 刃 칼날 ašmenys (naža) asmens mata pisau lemmetbladostrze تیغ lâmina lamă лезвие čepeľ klina sečivo blad ใบมีด ağız 刀刃 лезо چاقو وغیرہ کا پھل ، بلیڈ lưỡi (dao, kiếm) 刀刃
2. the flat part of a leaf etc. a blade of grass. blaar, grashalm وَرَقَةُ عُشْب лист, стрък fio stéblo das Blatt, der Halm blad το επίπεδο τμήμα ενός φύλλου brizna lehelaba پهن برگ ruohonlehti limbe, brin עָלֶה עֵשֶׂב फलक vlat szál sehelai grasstrá; blaðka filo 葉 잎사귀 laiškas (zāles) stiebrs lai blaadjebladźdźbło هرشی چی د پاڼی غوندی وی fio fir (de iarbă) былинка, лист čepeľ (listu) bilka vlat blad, [gräs]strå ส่วนที่บางของใบไม้ aya 葉片 травинка پتے کا چپٹا حاصہ phiến lá 叶片
3. the flat part of an oar. blad طَرَفُ المِجْدافِ العَريض перка за гребло pá lopatka (vesla) das Blatt åreblad παλάμη κουπιού pala aerulaba قسمت پهن؛ پهنه lapa pale לָהַב הַמָשוֹט धार lopatica vesla lapát ujung dayung blað pala オールの水かき (노의) 물갈퀴 mentė (aira) lāpstiņa daun bladbladpióro همواره برخه ، هموار pá paletă лопасть list (vesla) lopatasti del vesla lopata årblad ส่วนที่บางของไม้พาย pala 槳片 лопать چپو کا چپٹا حصہ mái chèo 桨片