Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. The transformation of small lymphocytes into larger cells that are capable of undergoing mitosis.
2. The development of an embryo during cleavage and germ layer formation.
3. Reproduction of an organism by budding.
blas′to·ge·net′ic (-jə-nĕt′ĭk), blas′to·gen′ic (-jĕn′ĭk) adj.
1. (Biology) the theory that inherited characteristics are transmitted only by germ plasm. See also pangenesis
2. (Biology) asexual reproduction, esp budding
ˌblastoˈgenic, ˌblastogeˈnetic adj
the theory that hereditary characteristics are transmitted by germ plasm. Cf. pangenesis. — blastogenetic, adj.See also: Heredity
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blastogenesis - asexual reproduction by budding|
|2.||blastogenesis - theory that inherited characteristics are transmitted by germ plasm|
theory - a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena; "theories can incorporate facts and laws and tested hypotheses"; "true in fact and theory"