Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various perennial herbs of the genera Dicentra and Lamprocapnos, especially L. spectabilis, widely cultivated for its arching clusters of pink to red or white heart-shaped flowers.
2. A person who is considered excessively sympathetic toward those who claim to be underprivileged or exploited.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of several plants of the genus Dicentra, esp the widely cultivated Japanese species D. spectabilis, which has finely divided leaves and heart-shaped nodding pink flowers: family Fumariaceae
a. a person who is excessively softhearted
b. (as modifier): a bleeding-heart liberal.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of various plants belonging to the genus Dicentra, of the fumitory family, esp. D. spectabilis, having long clusters of rose or red heart-shaped flowers.
2. a person who makes an ostentatious display of pity or concern for others.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bleeding heart - garden plant having deep-pink drooping heart-shaped flowers|
|2.||bleeding heart - someone who is excessively sympathetic toward those who claim to be exploited or underprivileged|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n (pej: = person) → Sensibelchen nt (inf)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007