Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A swift, sudden military offensive, usually by combined air and mobile land forces.
(Military) a swift intensive military attack, esp using tanks supported by aircraft, designed to defeat the opposition quickly
[C20: from German: lightning war]
1. a sudden, swift, and overwhelming military attack, usu. using tanks and aerial bombardment.
2. the Blitz, the intensive aerial bombing of British cities by the Germans in 1940–41.
3. any swift, vigorous attack, barrage, or defeat.
4. Football. a direct charge upon the passer as soon as the ball is snapped.
5. a shutout in gin rummy.v.t.
6. to attack, defeat, or destroy with or as if with a blitz.
7. Football. to charge (the passer) as soon as the ball is snapped.
[1935–40; shortening of blitzkrieg]
A German word meaning lightning attack, used to mean a sudden intensive military offensive.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blitzkrieg - a swift and violent military offensive with intensive aerial bombardment|
attack, onrush, onset, onslaught - (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons); "the attack began at dawn"
|Verb||1.||blitzkrieg - fight a quick and surprising war|
war - make or wage war