gasket(redirected from blows a gasket)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of a wide variety of seals or packings used between matched machine parts or around pipe joints to prevent the escape of a gas or fluid.
2. Nautical A cord or canvas strap used to secure a furled sail to a yard, boom, or gaff.
[Perhaps alteration of French garcette, small cord, diminutive of garce, girl, from Old French, feminine of gars, boy, soldier; see garçon.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a compressible packing piece of paper, rubber, asbestos, etc, sandwiched between the faces or flanges of a joint to provide a seal
2. (Nautical Terms) nautical a piece of line used as a sail stop
3. blow a gasket slang to burst out in anger
[C17 (in the sense: rope lashing a furled sail): probably from French garcette rope's end, literally: little girl, from Old French garce girl, feminine of gars boy, servant]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a rubber, metal, or rope ring, for packing a piston or placing around a joint to make it watertight.
2. a light line for securing a furled sail to a boom, gaff, or yard.
[1615–25; perhaps < French garcette a plait of rope]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gasket - seal consisting of a ring for packing pistons or sealing a pipe joint|
head gasket - a gasket to seal a cylinder head
O ring - a gasket consisting of a flat ring of rubber or plastic; used to seal a joint against high pressure
seal - fastener that provides a tight and perfect closure
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
gasket[ˈgæskɪt] N (Tech) → junta f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (Tech) → Dichtung f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
gasket[ˈgæskɪt] n (Tech) → guarnizione f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
gasket→ سِدَادَة těsnění pakning Dichtung τσιμούχα junta tiiviste joint brtvilo guarnizione ガスケット 개스킷 pakking pakning uszczelka vedação, vedante прокладка packning วงแหวนอัดลูกสูบ conta miếng đệm 垫圈
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009