blue chip(redirected from blue-chipper)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
blue chipalso blue-chip·per (blo͞o′chĭp′ər)
1. A stock that sells at a high price because of public confidence in its long record of steady earnings.
2. An extremely valuable asset or property.
3. Games A blue poker chip of high value.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Gambling, except Cards) a gambling chip with the highest value
2. (Banking & Finance) finance
a. a stock considered reliable with respect to both dividend income and capital value
b. (as modifier): a blue-chip company.
3. (modifier) denoting something considered to be a valuable asset
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a blue-colored chip of high value, used esp. in poker.
2. a common stock issued by a major company with a reputation for stability and financial strength and a good record of dividend payments: regarded as a low-risk investment.
3. a secure and valuable item held in reserve.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blue chip - a common stock of a nationally known company whose value and dividends are reliable; typically have high price and low yield; "blue chips are usually safe investments"|
|2.||blue chip - a blue poker chip with the highest value|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
valeur de premier ordre