Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
blue·bell(blo͞o′bĕl′) also blue·bells (-bĕlz′)
1. Any of several bulbous plants of the genus Hyacinthoides, native to western Europe and northwest Africa and having racemes of usually blue to pink bell-shaped flowers.
2. Any of various plants of the genus Mertensia, native to Asia, Europe, and North America and having blue, trumpet-shaped flowers.
3. See harebell.
4. Any of several other plants having bluish, usually bell-shaped flowers.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: wild hyacinth or wood hyacinth a European liliaceous woodland plant, Hyacinthoides (or Endymion) non-scripta, having a one-sided cluster of blue bell-shaped flowers
2. (Plants) Also called: Spanish bluebell a similar and related plant, hispanica, widely grown in gardens and becoming naturalized
3. (Plants) a Scot name for harebell
4. (Plants) any of various other plants with blue bell-shaped flowers
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of numerous plants of the bellflower family, having blue, bell-shaped flowers, as the harebell.
2. an Old World plant, Endymion nonscriptus, of the lily family, having blue, bell-shaped flowers.
3. any of various other plants having blue flowers of the borage family.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bluebell - sometimes placed in genus Scilla |
liliaceous plant - plant growing from a bulb or corm or rhizome or tuber
|2.||bluebell - one of the most handsome prairie wildflowers having large erect bell-shaped bluish flowers; of moist places in prairies and fields from eastern Colorado and Nebraska south to New Mexico and Texas|
|3.||bluebell - perennial of northern hemisphere with slender stems and bell-shaped blue flowers|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995