Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to bluegrass: Bluegrass music
Blue·grassalso Blue·grass Country or Blue·grass Region (blo͞o′grăs′)
A region of central Kentucky noted for its lushly growing bluegrass and the breeding of thoroughbred horses.
1. Any of various grasses of the genus Poa, having bluish spikelets, including species such as Kentucky bluegrass that are used for pastures and lawns and others that are considered weeds.
2. Music A type of country music that originated in the southern United States, typically played on acoustic stringed instruments and characterized by rapid tempos and jazzlike improvisation.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of several North American bluish-green grasses of the genus Poa, esp P. pratensis (Kentucky bluegrass), grown for forage
2. (Pop Music) a type of folk music originating in Kentucky, characterized by a simple harmonized accompaniment
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any grass of the genus Poa, as the Kentucky bluegrass, P. pratensis, having dense tufts of bluish green blades and creeping rhizomes.
2. country music, polyphonic in character, played on unamplified stringed instruments, esp. the solo banjo.
3. the Bluegrass, Bluegrass Region.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Country music evolving from the Scots-Irish traditional music of the southern Appalachian Mountains. Bluegrass uses traditional mountain dance-group instrumentation, usually featuring unamplified mandolin, banjo, and fiddle.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bluegrass - any of various grasses of the genus Poa|
grass - narrow-leaved green herbage: grown as lawns; used as pasture for grazing animals; cut and dried as hay
|2.||Bluegrass - an area in central Kentucky noted for it bluegrass and thoroughbred horses|
|3.||bluegrass - a type of country music played at a rapid tempo on banjos and guitars|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.