Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Any of several wines having a pink tinge.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. any of the wild or cultivated, usu. prickly-stemmed, pinnate-leaved, showy-flowered shrubs of the genus Rosa. Compare rose family.
2. any of various related or similar plants.
3. the flower of any such shrub, of a red, pink, white, or yellow color.
4. a pinkish red, purplish pink, or light crimson color.
5. an ornament shaped like a rose.
6. any of various diagrams showing directions radiating from a common center, as a compass card.
a. an old style of gem cut having a flat base and a dome-shaped crown, typically with 24 triangular facets.
b. a gem with this cut.
8. a perforated cap or plate, as at the end of a pipe, to break a flow of water into a spray.adj.
9. of the color rose.
10. for, containing, or growing roses.
11. scented like a rose.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English rōse < Latin rosa; akin to Greek rhódon rose (compare rhododendron)]
pt. of rise.
a pink wine made from red grapes by removing the grape skins from the must before fermentation is completed.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.