Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. bo·lus·es
1. A round mass: "A dense bolus of trapped dolphins fills the frame" (Kenneth Browser).
a. A single, relatively large quantity of a substance, such as a dose of a drug, intended for therapeutic use and taken orally.
b. A concentrated mass of a substance administered intravenously for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes.
3. A soft mass of chewed food within the mouth or digestive tract.
[Medieval Latin bōlus, from Greek bōlos, lump of earth.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -luses
1. a small round soft mass, esp of chewed food
2. (Pharmacology) an intravenous injection of a single dose of a drug over a short period
3. (Pharmacology) obsolete a large pill or tablet used in veterinary and clinical medicine
4. (Dyeing) another word for bole2
5. (Colours) another word for bole2
[C17: from New Latin, from Greek bōlos clod, lump]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -lus•es.
1. a round mass of medicinal material, larger than an ordinary pill.
2. a soft, roundish mass or lump, esp. of chewed food.
[1595–1605; < Late Latin bōlus clod of earth < Greek bôlos]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
bolus, chyme - Bolus is chewed food ready for swallowing, and chyme is swallowed, partially digested food.
See also related terms for swallow.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Bolusa small rounded mass of a substance.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bolus - a small round soft mass (as of chewed food)|
|2.||bolus - a large pill; used especially in veterinary medicine|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. cantidad de una sustancia que se administra en determinado tiempo por vía oral o intravenosa para obtener una respuesta inmediata;
2. masa de consistencia suave lista para ser ingerida;
alimentary ___ → ___ alimenticio.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.