Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to bombardier: bombardier beetle
1. A member of a combat aircraft crew who operates the bombsight and drops the bombs.
2. Chiefly British A noncommissioned artillery officer.
3. Archaic A soldier in the artillery.
[French, from Old French bombarde, bombard; see bombard.]
1. (Military) the member of a bomber aircrew responsible for aiming and releasing the bombs
2. (Military) Brit a noncommissioned rank below the rank of sergeant in the Royal Artillery
3. (Animals) Also called: bombardier beetle any of various small carabid beetles of the genus Brachinus, esp B. crepitans of Europe, which defend themselves by ejecting a jet of volatile fluid
[C16: from Old French: one directing a bombard; see bombard]
(Automotive Engineering) trademark Canadian a snow tractor, typically having caterpillar tracks at the rear and skis at the front
[C20: named after J. A. Bombardier, Canadian inventor and manufacturer]
bom•bar•dier(ˌbɒm bərˈdɪər, -bə-)
1. the crew member of a bombing plane who operates the bombsight and the bomb-release mechanism.
2. Archaic. artilleryman.
[1550–60; < Middle French]
bombardier- First denoted a soldier in charge of a bombard, an early form of cannon.
See also related terms for soldier.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bombardier - a noncommissioned officer in the British artillery|
|2.||bombardier - the member of a bomber crew responsible for using the bombsight and releasing the bombs on the target|
aircrewman - a member of an aircrew