Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. boomed, boom·ing, booms
1. To make a deep, resonant sound.
2. To grow, develop, or progress rapidly; flourish: Business is booming.
1. To utter or give forth with a deep, resonant sound: a field commander booming out orders.
2. To cause to grow or flourish; boost.
1. A deep resonant sound, as of an explosion.
2. A time of economic prosperity.
3. A sudden increase, as in popularity.
[Middle English bomben, imitative of a loud noise.]
1. Nautical A spar extending usually from a mast to hold the foot, clew, or tack of a sail.
2. A long pole extending upward at an angle from the mast of a derrick to support or guide objects being lifted or suspended.
a. A barrier composed of a chain of floating logs, typically used to block the passage of boats or to arrest the downstream motion of logs in a log drive.
b. A floating barrier serving to catch debris or to contain an oil spill.
4. A long movable arm used to maneuver and support a microphone.
a. A spar that connects the tail surfaces and the main structure of an airplane.
b. A long hollow tube attached to a tanker aircraft, through which fuel flows to another aircraft being refueled in flight.
tr.v. boomed, boom·ing, boomsIdiom:
To move or position using a crane: boomed the cargo onto the ship.
drop/lower the boom
To act suddenly and forcefully to repress a practice or reprimand an offender; crack down.
perceived as too loud
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||booming - very lively and profitable; "flourishing businesses"; "a palmy time for stockbrokers"; "a prosperous new business"; "doing a roaring trade"; "a thriving tourist center"; "did a thriving business in orchids"|
successful - having succeeded or being marked by a favorable outcome; "a successful architect"; "a successful business venture"
|2.||booming - used of the voice|
full - (of sound) having marked deepness and body; "full tones"; "a full voice"
1. loud, echoing, thundering, bellowing, resounding, deafening, strident, resonant, sonorous, stentorian The ginger man had a large booming voice.