Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to the north; northern.
2. Of or concerning the north wind.
3. Boreal Of or relating to the forest areas of northern Eurasia and northern North America, dominated by coniferous trees such as spruce, fir, and pine.
[Middle English, from Late Latin Boreālis, from Latin Boreās, Boreas; see Boreas.]
of or relating to the north or the north wind
[C15: from Latin boreās the north wind]
1. (Physical Geography) of or denoting the coniferous forests in the north of the N hemisphere
2. (Physical Geography) designating a climatic zone having snowy winters and short summers
3. (Physical Geography) designating a dry climatic period from about 7500 to 5500 bc, characterized by cold winters, warm summers, and a flora dominated by pines and hazels
bo•re•al(ˈbɔr i əl, ˈboʊr-)
1. of or pertaining to the north wind.
2. of or pertaining to the north.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||boreal - relating to or marked by qualities associated with the north wind|
|2.||boreal - toward or located in the north; "the boreal signs of the Zodiac"|
|3.||boreal - comprising or throughout far northern regions|
northern - situated in or coming from regions of the north; "the northern hemisphere"; "northern autumn colors"