buttress(redirected from botress)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A structure, usually brick or stone, built against a wall for support or reinforcement.
2. Something resembling a buttress, as:
a. The flared base of certain tree trunks.
b. A horny growth on the heel of a horse's hoof.
3. Something that serves to support, prop, or reinforce: "The law is by its very nature a buttress of the status quo" (J. William Fulbright).
tr.v. but·tressed, but·tress·ing, but·tress·es
1. To support or reinforce with a buttress.
2. To sustain, prop, or bolster: "The author buttresses her analysis with lengthy dissections of several of Moore's poems" (Warren Woessner).
1. (Architecture) Also called: pier a construction, usually of brick or stone, built to support a wall. See also flying buttress
2. any support or prop
3. something shaped like a buttress, such as a projection from a mountainside
4. (Zoology) either of the two pointed rear parts of a horse's hoof
5. (Building) to support (a wall) with a buttress
6. to support or sustain
[C13: from Old French bouterez, short for ars bouterez thrusting arch, from bouter to thrust, butt3]
1. a projecting support built into or against the outside of a masonry wall to steady a structure by opposing its outward thrusts.
2. any prop or support.
3. something resembling a buttress in shape or position.
4. a bony or horny protuberance, esp. on a horse's hoof.v.t.
5. to support by a buttress; prop up.
6. to give encouragement or support to.
[1350–1400; Middle English butres « Old French (arc) boterez thrusting (arch)]
Past participle: buttressed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||buttress - a support usually of stone or brick; supports the wall of a building|
arc-boutant, flying buttress - a buttress that stands apart from the main structure and connected to it by an arch
support - supporting structure that holds up or provides a foundation; "the statue stood on a marble support"
|Verb||1.||buttress - reinforce with a buttress; "Buttress the church"|
|2.||buttress - make stronger or defensible; "buttress your thesis"|
opěrný pilířoporapodpěra zdi
a support built on to the outside of a wall. stutmuur دَعامَه، رَكيزَه подпора contraforte podpěra zdi der Strebepfeiler støttepille; afstiver αντιτείχισμα contrafuerte tugipiilar پشتواره؛ پشت بند tukipylväs contrefort מִסעַד पुश्ता potporanj támfal penopang veggstuðull, styrktarstoð contrafforte 控え壁 버팀벽 atrama balsts sagang steunbeerstøttepilar, strebepilar przypora درم ، پشتی contraforte contrafort контрфорс, подпорка podpera opornik potpora strävpelare, stöd โครงสร้างที่เป็นส่วนค้ำ payanda, destek 扶壁，撐牆 підпора; опора ٹیک ، پشتی بان trụ tường 扶垛，扶壁
n. contrafuerte, resfuerzo, sostén.