avulsion(redirected from brachial plexus avulsion)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to brachial plexus avulsion: Brachial plexus injuries
a tearing away; a part torn off: The storm’s runoff caused an avulsion of the stream’s bank.
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. The forcible tearing away of a body part by trauma or surgery.
2. The sudden separation of land from one property, and concomitant connection to another property, as a result of a flood or a shift in the course of a boundary stream.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Surgery) a forcible tearing away or separation of a bodily structure or part, either as the result of injury or as an intentional surgical procedure
2. (Law) law the sudden removal of soil from one person's land to that of another, as by flooding
[C17: from Latin āvulsiō, from āvellere to pluck away, from vellere to pull, pluck]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a tearing away.
2. the sudden removal of soil by change in a river's course or by a flood, from the land of one owner to that of another.
3. a part torn off.
[1615–25; < Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||avulsion - an abrupt change in the course of a stream that forms the boundary between two parcels of land resulting in the loss of part of the land of one landowner and a consequent increase in the land of another|
|2.||avulsion - a forcible tearing or surgical separation of one body part from another|
separation - the act of dividing or disconnecting
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. avulsión, extracción o remoción de una estructura o parte de ésta.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012