Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. also Brah·man (-mən) A member of the highest of the four major castes of traditional Indian society, responsible for officiating at religious rites and studying and teaching the Vedas.
2. A member of a cultural and social elite, especially of that formed by descendants of old New England families: a Boston Brahmin.
3. Variant of Brahman..
also Brahman (-mən) Of or relating to the caste of Brahmins.
[Probably alteration of Sanskrit brāhmaṇaḥ, from brāhmaṇa-, brahminic; see Brahman.]
Brah·min′ic (-mĭn′ĭk), Brah·min′i·cal adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -min or -mins
1. (Hinduism) the older spelling of Brahman1
2. (in the US) a highly intelligent or socially exclusive person, esp a member of one of the older New England families
3. an intellectual or social snob
Brahˈminic, Brahˈminical adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
2. (esp. in New England) a person from an upper–class family, esp. a family with considerable social and political power.
3. an intellectually or socially aloof person.
[1475–85; variant of Brahman]
Brah•min′ic, Brah•min′i•cal, adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A member of a class with high social and cultural standing, especially a member of one of the older New England families.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||brahmin - a member of a social and cultural elite (especially a descendant of an old New England family); "a Boston brahman"|
|2.||brahmin - a member of the highest of the four Hindu varnas; "originally all brahmans were priests"|
smarta - one of a group of brahmans who uphold nonsectarian orthodoxy according to the Vedanta school of Hinduism
|3.||brahmin - the highest of the four varnas: the priestly or sacerdotal category|
varna - (Hinduism) the name for the original social division of Vedic people into four groups (which are subdivided into thousands of jatis)
|4.||Brahmin - any of several breeds of Indian cattle; especially a large American heat and tick resistant greyish humped breed evolved in the Gulf States by interbreeding Indian cattle and now used chiefly for crossbreeding|
Bos, genus Bos - wild and domestic cattle; in some classifications placed in the subfamily Bovinae or tribe Bovini
bovine - any of various members of the genus Bos
zebu - domesticated ox having a humped back and long horns and a large dewlap; used chiefly as a draft animal in India and east Asia
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.