Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Wikipedia.
a. A trademark or distinctive name identifying a product, service, or organization.
b. A product or service so identified: bought a popular brand of soap.
c. An association of positive qualities with a widely recognized name, as of a product line or celebrity: The company tried to improve its brand by donating money to charity.
d. A distinctive category; a particular kind: a brand of comedy that I do not care for.
2. A mark indicating identity or ownership, burned on the hide of an animal with a hot iron.
a. A mark burned into a person's flesh, as to identify a convicted criminal or a slave.
b. A mark burned into a person's flesh for ornamental or aesthetic purposes.
4. An association of disgrace or notoriety with something; a stigma. See Synonyms at stain.
5. A branding iron.
6. A piece of burning or charred wood.
7. A sword: "So flashed and fell the brand Excalibur" (Tennyson).
tr.v. brand·ed, brand·ing, brands
1. To mark with a hot iron, as to show ownership: branded the steer.
2. To provide with or publicize using a brand name or other readily recognized identifier: a line of cars branded with mythological names.
3. To consider or label as disgraceful or infamous; stigmatize: branded the deserters as cowards.
4. To impress firmly; fix ineradicably: Imagery of the war has branded itself into the national consciousness.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Marketing) identifiable as being the product of a particular manufacturer or marketing company
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||branded - (of goods and merchandise) marked or labeled by a distinctive word or symbol indicating exclusive rights; "branded merchandise is that bearing a standard brand name"|
proprietary - protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights; "`Tylenol' is a proprietary drug of which `acetaminophen' is the generic form"
|2.||branded - marked with a brand; "branded cattle"; "branded criminal"|
unbranded - not marked with a brand; "unbranded cattle"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.