Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. A basket for serving bread.
2. A geographic region serving as a principal source of grain supply.
3. Slang The stomach.
1. a basket for carrying bread or rolls
2. (Physical Geography) an area or region that provides most of the food for a country
3. (Anatomy) a slang word for stomach
bread•bas•ket(ˈbrɛdˌbæs kɪt, -ˌbɑ skɪt)
1. a basket for bread or rolls.
2. an area that produces large amounts of grain.
3. Slang. the stomach or abdomen.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||breadbasket - a geographic region serving as the principal source of grain|
region - a large indefinite location on the surface of the Earth; "penguins inhabit the polar regions"
|2.||breadbasket - an enlarged and muscular saclike organ of the alimentary canal; the principal organ of digestion|
craw, crop - a pouch in many birds and some lower animals that resembles a stomach for storage and preliminary maceration of food
first stomach, rumen - the first compartment of the stomach of a ruminant; here food is collected and returned to the mouth as cud for chewing
abomasum, fourth stomach - the fourth compartment of the stomach of a ruminant; the one where digestion takes place
gastroepiploic vein, gastroomental vein, vena gastroomentalis - one of two veins serving the great curvature of the stomach
epigastric fossa, pit of the stomach - a slight depression in the midline just below the sternum (where a blow can affect the solar plexus)
|3.||breadbasket - a basket for serving bread|