Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or an instance of breaking up, as a division, dispersal, or disintegration.
2. The discontinuance of a relationship, as a marriage or a friendship.
3. The cracking and shifting of ice in rivers or harbors during the spring.
4. A loss of control or composure.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. disintegration; disruption; dispersal.
2. the ending of a personal, esp. a romantic, relationship.
3. the melting and loosening of ice in rivers and harbors during the early spring.
4. an instance of being convulsed with laughter.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||breakup - the termination or disintegration of a relationship (between persons or nations)|
splitsville - separation or breakup or divorce; "after 15 years together they are headed for splitsville"
|2.||breakup - coming apart|
alteration, change, modification - an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another; "the change was intended to increase sales"; "this storm is certainly a change for the worse"; "the neighborhood had undergone few modifications since his last visit years ago"
falling out, severance, rupture, rift, breach, break - a personal or social separation (as between opposing factions); "they hoped to avoid a break in relations"
break - the occurrence of breaking; "the break in the dam threatened the valley"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.