Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to breathed: breathtakingly
1. (also brēthd) Linguistics Voiceless.
2. Having breath of a specified kind. Often used in combination: sour-breathed.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics relating to or denoting a speech sound for whose articulation the vocal cords are not made to vibrate. Compare voiced
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. having no voice; mute.
2. uttering no words; silent.
3. having an unmusical voice.
4. unspoken; unuttered.
5. having no vote or right of choice.
6. (of a speech sound) pronounced without vibration of the vocal cords, as the consonants (p), (f), and (s).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||breathed - uttered without voice; "could hardly hear her breathed plea, `Help me'"; "voiceless whispers"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.