Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. brewed, brew·ing, brews
1. To make (ale or beer) from malt and hops by infusion, boiling, and fermentation.
2. To make (a beverage) by boiling, steeping, or mixing various ingredients: brew tea.
3. To concoct; devise: brew a plot to overthrow the government.
1. To make ale or beer as an occupation.
2. To be made by boiling or steeping: As the coffee brewed, I paced in the kitchen.
3. To be imminent; impend: "storms brewing on every frontier" (John Dos Passos).
a. A beverage made by brewing.
b. A serving of such a beverage.
2. Something produced as if by brewing; a mix: Their politics were a strange brew of idealism and self-interest.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Brewing) a product of brewing; brew
2. (Brewing) the process of brewing
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a liquor brewed from malt.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Brewagea mixture of various things—Johnson, 1755.
Examples: brewage of best Spanish wine, 1848; of tempests, 1821.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||brewage - drink made by steeping and boiling and fermenting rather than distilling|
alcohol, alcoholic beverage, alcoholic drink, inebriant, intoxicant - a liquor or brew containing alcohol as the active agent; "alcohol (or drink) ruined him"
beer - a general name for alcoholic beverages made by fermenting a cereal (or mixture of cereals) flavored with hops
kvass - fermented beverage resembling beer but made from rye or barley
mead - made of fermented honey and water
cassiri - a drink resembling beer; made from fermented cassava juice
spruce beer - a brew made by fermenting molasses and other sugars with the sap of spruce trees (sometimes with malt)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.